Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Who Will Have Access to Your Digital Data If You Die?

Believe me, I've really been thinking about this lately! My husband and I have been chatting about updating our will now that our children are grown. It's such a lot to think about and we need to add our digital data to the picture also.

I know many of you that follow this blog are also small businesses with either just a few employees or you are THE solo owner/operator. Who will be able to carry on if you are not around? We have and need passwords for EVERYTHING digital these days. And, if you are wise about protecting your digital footprint and identity, you DON'T have the same password for everything. PLEEEEAAASE tell me you don't! So, what happens if you get hit by a bus tomorrow? Do you have a plan?

I've always been careful about giving sensitive client information to another person within the client's company should I become inaccessible. BUT, I haven't been good about seeing that my own digital data is located somewhere with instructions for someone to carry on. Yikes...passwords for absolutely everything I do will need to be recorded in a safe place - Web hosts, Web sites, email accounts, password-protected files on my computer, social media accounts, bank accounts - and the list goes on!

I'm not sure what the answer is for me yet, but you can read more about ways to accomplish this for your business at the Inc. Magazine Web site.
Passing on Your Digital Data

No comments: