Monday, April 24, 2006

Marshall Field's 12 Things to Remember

The main points are from Marshall Field's and the comments underneath are mine.

1. The Value of Time
Nothing is more precious than my time. I try to make the important people in my life consume my most precious time, whether personal or professional. Relationships are so much more important than business, money or material things.

2. The Success of Perseverance
One thing I know about my business…if I keep putting one foot in front of the other, my business will be successful. Think of the successful people you know. They all have stories of failing a few times, heck, maybe even a few HUNDRED times. But one thing is consistent--they didn't get where they are by giving up.

3. The Pleasure of Working
The pleasure in working is the satisfaction and enjoyment I get when it all comes together.

4. The Dignity of Simplicity
I've learned the hard way that I need a simple life. Too much complication and too many activities just bring more stress. I've learned to say "NO" a lot more often and choose my involvement wisely.

5. The Worth of Character
Character to me means that I'm honest, forthright, reliable, and dependable.

6. The Power of Kindness
Never underestimate the power of kindness. This line is included in most of my online signatures: "Practice Random Acts of Kindness". It's amazing to me that when I'm not self-focused [you know--What's in it for me?] and I can think "Who can I bless today?, that I usually end up being the one whose blessed! It can change your entire outlook.

7. The Influence of Example
Being a mom, I sure hope I've grasped this one! I can think of many people in my life that led by example and profoundly influenced me personally and professionally.

8. The Obligation of Duty
I really don't like the wording of this--to me it seems to imply our obligations are chores; maybe I'm not getting it?! I choose to fulfill my obligations because I want people to be able to count on me. I strive for excellence in all I do.

9. The Wisdom of Economy
To me this means the wisdom of managing my money. Here's my simple motto: Give first, Save second, Spend third.

10. The Virtue of Patience
I'm not quite sure I've completely mastered this yet, but I'm persevering :)

11. The Improvement of Talent
Be a continual learner. I don't know everything and I feel each person I come in contact with can teach me something. I try to be humble enough to be teachable.

12. The Joy of Originating
Be original. Try something new even if no one has ever done it before. Someone has to be the first--might as well be you!

No comments: