Tuesday, September 29, 2009

75% Doing, 25% Learning

I try to apply this principle to my business because it's awfully easy for me to get caught up in all the 'new' things I can learn, and never apply them or put them into action!

I take one day out of each week and I've deemed it my Business Development Day. I set all other things aside and I focus on learning something I need to know to move forward. Then during the other days, in addition to my other projects, I put it into action or at least I take one baby step toward my goal or the end result I want.

I don't know if you're like me, but here's what happens when I attempt to move my business to a new level: I get overwhelmed by how large the task is, suddenly all kinds of distractions get in my way, I get an uneasy feeling because I'm usually stepping out of my comfort zone, etc., etc. The result - NOTHING! It creates inaction in me and I dawdle with it forever and can't seem to get started . My Business Development day allows me to get out of my own way.

Here's something else I learned by setting this time aside. Often, I'll revisit materials/books I have, and lo and behold, I've seen things I didn't see the first time. It doesn't hurt to go back to some resources you think you may have learned all you can from. What I found is that different things jumped out at me because I'm in a different place now than I was then.

The latest epiphany from my most recent business development day - deal with or handle your business AS IT IS, not how you think it should be. OMG - light bulb moment for me. My tasks will take MUCH less effort this way! This can apply personally as well as professionally. I can't tell you how many times (as a woman and a mother and a former people-pleaser), that I approached things as I thought they should be rather than how they really were. I'm pumped about how much more productive I'm going to be. :-)

Have a great week! Paula

No comments: